Why this Blog?

Over the past year or so I've been skating, I've met several older guys that I think would really like to skate. But they don't. My hope is that, by demonstrating that this balance-challenged 46 year old guy can start so late and develop enough skill to really enjoy himself, some of these guys will give it a try.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Two steps forward, one visit to the dentist

A few months back when I was learning to drop in, I completely expected to be tossed on my butt with every attempt. After watching my son and other kids learn to drop in in the time it took me to shake off my latest slam and crawl out of the miniramp, I realized that, when compared to these kids at least, I wasn't really all that coordinated. That was OK. In a strange way it was still enjoyable, because I knew if I kept at it I would get past my lack of coordination and master the 'drop in'.

I finally did learn how to drop in, and never really slammed anymore. I progressed quickly from the 3' miniramp to the 4', and then to the 6' bowl. All was well. I took it for granted that all I had to think about was what to do when I got to the other side.

Until tonight.

For the past month or so I've been trying to learn how to pump in the corners of the bowl, and have made some progress, but not quite there yet. Tonight I dropped into the bowl for the maybe 7th or 8th time, and my front foot seemed a little out of place. So I tried to adjust it *before* my front wheels were down. This was not very bright, and of course the board turned. When the front wheels did make contact, they were not lined up with my direction of motion, which was straight down. Exactly what happened next I'm not sure. What I do know is that a split second later I landed on top of my board at the bottom. I somehow hit the tail of the board with the bulk of my weight and with my right hand on the nose. My weight on the tail shot the nose up, with my hand, into my chin and lower lip. My fall caused me to punch myself in the mouth hard enough that I checked my teeth afterwards. A little blood but teeth all still there...

I really wish I had it on video. I'm certain it would be pretty funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes cole!

i think everyone has one of these in their skating career ... mine was a face plant while learning to drop in on a 3' quarter ... landed full force on my chin. nothing broken, except my ego. :(

hope you're past it ... keep pushing! you're inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cole !
Not 2 old neither - only 40, and I must confess I have been in the business for 30 years now ! But the results are poor compared to the time I've spent skating ...
I hope my 3 kids will follow ... but it seems only the youngest likes skating.
I did not have the opportunity to skate concrete parks as a teenager, neither do I now - but I have found ramps near my office, and I also learn to drop from a quarter or half pipe - 2 meters tall, should be easy be I sometimes wonder whether my knees or ankles will suffice. And you asked THE good question: drop in - and what else after ? As for me, kick turn, and maybe one day rock'n roll ?
I still confide in my vintage 1984 Natas blacktop, indys and kryptos (which goes along with a quiver of longboards, but thats another story ...)
Ride on !